For the scrapbook

15 Mar 2010





[Image credits: Elle Decoration, April 2010]

However much I try, I can never bring myself to tear pages from magazines. In the past I've photocopied pages and stuck them into various scrapbooks, but it's time consuming and looks messy so I've never kept it up. From now on, I vow to scan in my favourite images each month as I'm much more likely to refer back to them in electronic format than rifling through a giant stack of magazines!

* * *

Thanks so much for the comments on my last post; I was truly touched by each one, and found comfort in reading about your personal experiences.

Our buying/selling situation hasn't changed much over the last few days. Our estate agent is trying to get us another buyer quickly so we can keep the next property, but so far it's not going well. Over the weekend we discovered that they've been saying different things potential buyers regarding the price we're looking for, and we just don't trust the agent anymore.

In the UK, estate agents have a bad reputation. I'd always kept an open mind as I hadn't had many dealings with them, but I'm saddened to say that they have lived up to this terrible reputation. We asked them why they didn't get proof that our buyer could actually pay for the property before taking it off the market, and they just ignored us and answered a totally different question.

If they don't find us a buyer over the next day or two and we lose the next property, then we will simply change to a more professional agent. After thinking about it over the weekend, I have a feeling that it might be for the best. The flat we have fallen in love with needs a lot of work: new boiler, central heating, double glazing, new kitchen. Even though we are prepared to do these things over a number of years, and it is a really lovely flat, maybe there is something else wrong with it that we can't see right now that would cost us a lot of money. Maybe someone is trying to protect us, and things will ultimately work out for the best...

6 comments:

Christina said...

I never thought to scan my favorite parts of a magazine. For the past few months I've been tearing everything that I've like from my magazine because I plan on making a large scrapbook of all my favorites & for recycling purposes- but now things have changed. I saw the movie The September Issue (it's grrreat) and the editor of Vogue has a whole wall of bookshelves of Vogues. I'm never throwing out a magazine again! I need to start scanning though.

one sydney road said...

I'm with you...I hate tearing out sheets from my interior design mags...so needless to say I have piles and piles of magazines now :) I've been thinking about scanning too - but not sure I can keep up with it. (glad to hear you're feeling better about things!!)

Kelley Anne said...

I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better. Sometimes when something similar happens to me, I find that a new perspetive seems to form with just a little distance. Its too bad that your agent isn't being honest with you.

I love the apartment you featured...all of that color without being overwhelming. It feels like such a whimsical, colorful space. I especially love the yellow and white lamps. And yeah, Toast is so very expensive...which is funny because the clothes are so simple. They're probably really well made though with great materials...or that's what I tell myself as I use the catalogs as inspiration. I think I might save up the money to buy the brown bathing suit though.

Stephanie Sabbe said...

everything will work out how it is supposed to with your flat! don't stress about it:)

Shannon of HAPPINESS IS said...

See - I knew there was a reason it all went down. It was for the very best. AND...although it seemed like the perfect place, there is always something better out there. xo

Rebecca said...

I know this is a slightly older post, but I was scrolling through your blog and realized I'd missed the whole time period when you were talking about selling your flat and moving! I'm so sorry that didn't work out for you. I know the whole process can be really hectic -- we were renting when we purchased our house, so the transition was easier.

Getting everything to work out just right can be so hard! When we started looking to buy, our first agent was really terrible. We didn't realize it because we didn't know much about the process ourselves... but she had no idea what she was doing! We had started the contract process on a house that we loved (it was tiny little house from 1932!), but decided to back out once we found out how difficult she would be to work with. We found a new agent and within a couple of weeks we were already working on buying the house we're in now!

I know exactly what you mean about not wanting to talk about it until things are final. It makes you feel foolish when your hopes get shattered! But just hang in there and I'm sure things will eventually work out. :)

Post a Comment