Skirt Refashion: How to make a button skirt

12 Nov 2010

button skirt front & back

I made this skirt one afternoon last week and it's already become one of my favourites as it hangs so nicely is comfy to wear. I refashioned it from a longer skirt that I found in a charity shop (it was originally from Precis, so it's a really nice quality and was worth salvaging). The fabric is a thick, silky polyester with a sheen. I don't tend to wear brown, but the weight and texture of the fabric is just lovely.

button skirt spin

The basic idea when making this skirt is to salvage the waistband and reattach it to a shorter length skirt, whilst creating a button front. It might sound like a long-winded thing to do when I could just cut the skirt shorter, but the original pleats were ripped and I like my pleats more ruffly. You could add in a side zip instead of all the buttons down the front, but I just love this look, and it's an excuse to use some of the pretty buttons I have in my stash.

button skirt front

Here's a quick 'how to'...

Cubic Dreams: Button Skirt Tutorial

16 comments:

Arc said...

Thank you. It is such a good idea! I will try to recycle my old shirt on this way.

Little Monarch said...

oh cool going to have to give this a try one of these days!

Stephanie Sabbe said...

love it!

Stéphanie said...

I adore !

Retro Chick said...

Gosh that's brilliant!

My sewing isn't up to much, but I might try that out!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous!

Nicky said...

Oh wow- absolutely lovely!!! and you made it sound so easy!!! Those pleats look a little tricky and I have yet to figure out how to do the button holes with my machine! I would have never thought to use the bottom of the skirt, thought you'd just hem the bottom after cutting it shorter! Thanks for the ideas

Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! A zillion times, thank you! This is a great tutorial and I'm definitely bookmarking this to try later!

Melanie@UnravelledThreads
Follow @UnraveldTreads on Twitter!

Hermine said...

Lovely. Thank you so much for sharing your workproces with us.

Anonymous said...

This is so nice. Thank you

MB said...

The skirt looks fantastic! You are so talented and have a real eye for detail! Have a happy weekend.

Anonymous said...

Wow I love this skit. It's so perfect.
I love your blog. I ran into it a few days ago and it has already soaked up quite a few hours.

Can I post a link to this tutorial?

Kimia Kline said...

so cute! and whata great tutorial :) many thanks.

SewHappyGeek said...

Love it! Great tutorials! I'm going to link to your blog in a post about sewing tutorials; if that's not ok just email me from www.sewhappygeek.blogspot.com and I will take it down! Cheers!

Meg said...

Oh goodness. This one is beautiful! Love it!

Anonymous said...

LOL
This made me laugh seeing the cat on the fabric, I've got a cat that does exactly the same.
If you're using a cross stitch chart...she'll lay on it
If you're cutting fabric...she'll lay on it

Very cute skirt! :]

Post a Comment